This three week course is suitable for experienced Volume Crime Scene Investigators (VCSI) who have completed a Stage 1 Crime Scene Investigation (CSI) Course, have completed their portfolio and have received a recommendation for the advanced Stage 2 training by their force. The aim of the course is to train and qualify VCSI in advanced CSI skills that can be utilised in the examination of serious and complex crime scenes.
Upon completion of the course the successful candidates will be able to:
- Display a thorough understanding of the role and responsibilities of the experienced CSI at a Serious and/or Major Crime scene.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the role of the CSM.
- Compile dynamic forensic strategies, to include anti contamination, Health and Safety and risk management.
- Brief on a scene investigation, taking into consideration operational requirements, team welfare and working patterns.
- Understand the appropriate procedures when recovering multiple evidential items from digital crime scenes.
- Demonstrate the ability to conduct advanced photography and video recording to supplement SIO / CSM briefing.
- Understand forensic procedures and processes required of a CSI when conducting investigations into Sexual Offences and during a Forensic Medical Examination.
- Understand the necessary procedures and after actions when dealing with Firearms, Ballistics and GSR.
- Demonstrate an understanding of practices, including Body Recovery, when dealing with Suicides and Unexplained Deaths including SUDI.
- Display a knowledge of best practice during the recovery of evidence during Postmortem Examinations, including attendance at a PME where practicable.
- Display an understanding of varied Forensic Subject Matter Experts and the ability to interact with them.
- Demonstrate the ability to gathering, assess and correctly dissemination intelligence from a Crime Scene.
- Demonstrate the ability to act as a professional witness during a court hearing.