This course is being submitted for accreditation by SFJ Awards Accredited Learning Professionally.
This two-week course is suitable for Crime Scene Investigators (CSI) who have demonstrated competence in fulfilling that role in an operational environment and possess the skills, knowledge and experience to take the forensic lead in complex and high-profile investigations. Their attendance on this training should be supported by their line manager and Scientific Support Manager and there will also be a requirement for the candidate to have an in-force mentor identified before attending the course.
The course will be delivered by classroom-based sessions including presentations by numerous expert speakers. The course also includes a summative exam, a one-day crime scene practical assessment and a one-day Hydra immersive learning exercise.
Upon completion of the course the successful candidates will be:
- Fully conversant with the role and responsibilities of the CSM.
- Able to identify and highlight Health and Safety and risk management at crime scenes.
- Cognisant of the welfare and stress levels of their CSIs and have the awareness to manage them appropriately.
- Understand the impact of Cognitive Bias on an investigation.
- Able to show appropriate leadership and communication skills.
- Fully understanding of the function of a Major Investigation and Forensic Management Team.
- Aware of Level 2 Forensic and its capability.
- Adept at the management of multiple scene examinations and identifying dynamic co-ordinated strategies, agreeing and recording priorities.
- ISO 17020 compliant.
- Comprehensively aware of the role of SIO and the investigative process of serious and major crime.
- Knowledgeable of the numerous forensic consultants available and have the ability to interact accordingly.
- Aware of forensic archaeology and anthropology services.
- Aware of forensic ecology and its place in the investigation.
- Fully understanding of forensic pathology and the management of death investigation.
- Understanding of Forensic Serology and DNA services.
- Aware of firearm and ballistic identification services.
- Able to recognise digital forensic opportunities and accompanied risks at crime scenes.Demonstrate the ability to act as a professional witness during a court hearing.